Neerattupuram is a small, beautiful place at Thalavady Village of Kuttanad Taluk, Alappuzha district, Kerala (India). You can read all about Neerettupuram, pincode, history and other details in this article. This article serves as the Local Guide of this place.
Today the place is pronounced and written as Neerettupuram in many places. But still, officially the place is written as called Neerattupuram.
Neerattupuram was not much popular till the 20th century. At the beginning of 21st century, a temple in this area, Sri Chakkulathukavu Devi Temple becomes so popular and thereby the place is now known to the world as Chakkulathukavu. Now the people outside of this area do not know the place’s real name, but the place is known to them as Chakkulathukavu.
The Pincode of Neerattupuram is 689571.
- Type: Village
- Native name: Neerattupuram
- District: Alappuzha
- State: Kerala
- Country: India
- Nearest City: Thiruvalla
- STD code: 0477
- Area Telephone: 221-xxxx
- Postal Code: 689571
- Vehicle code range: KL-04
- Other name: Neerettupuram
- Religions: Hindus , Christians
Photograph of Neerattupuram
Neerattupuram is located at Thalavady Village of Kuttanad Taluk in Alappuzha district, Kerala (India). It is just 10 km away from Thiruvalla Railway Station and 28 km away from Alappuzha Railway Station. It’s exactly situated at the border of Alappuzha and Pathanamthitta districts. A medium-sized bridge in Neerettupuram divides Alappuzha and Pathanamthitta districts. A significant portion of the land is located on the bank of the joint ventures of Pampa and Manimala rivers. Many tourists are coming here through this river from Kumarakom, Alappuzha, Pathanamthitta, etc.
History of Neerattupuram
The land has many historical backgrounds. We are studying the history of this area and will publish here as soon as the final report of our research is ready.
There are many stories behind the name of Neerattupuram. However, the most of the people believed that the name came from two Malayalam words Neerattu which means bathing and Puram which means Place. In ancient times the people called places and houses according to the landmarks or features of that Place or land. At that time people around this area used to come to the bank of the Pampa- Manimala river flowing through this place for using water, especially for bathing. It was the only safe and most convenient place nearby to use the water from the river for various purposes. So this place is called as Neerattu Puram because in Malayalam “Neerattu” means Bathing and “Puram” means Place. People now pronounce it as Neerettupuram in Malayalam which is their local language, but still, people write the place name as Neerattupuram in English.
The majority of the classes of people here are Hindus. Here there is a good relation between Hindus and Christians. The people here celebrate all religious festivals together.
The main centre of this place is now near Chakkulathukavu Devi Temple & Srambical House with lots of shops and buildings. Before that, it was near M.R. Stores which was a wholesale and retail store of more than 60 years of old, but now permanently closed. The old market was bigger than the existed one and people around this place (even up to 10kms) used to come here for purchasing everything. Now there are many shops in each and every corner.
Shops, Business & Services
- Kathanaruparampil Stores – A well-rated grocery store known for its range of grocery items.
- Nelson Offset Printing House – A top-ranked print shop offering various printing services.
- Kannan Stores – Another popular grocery store in the area, known for its quality products.
- Bhadra Medical Shop – A medical store providing pharmaceutical products.
- Star Bakery Stationary Shop – A bakery and stationary shop, offering baked goods and office supplies.
- Colours Textiles – A textile shop known for its variety of fabric and clothing options.
- Dhanvantari Ayurvedic Shop – A shop specialising in Ayurvedic products and medicines.
- Kunnumadiyel Bakery – A bakery offering a range of baked items.
- VG Fashions – A fashion store with a collection of clothing and accessories.
- Yamaha Showroom – For automotive enthusiasts, particularly those interested in Yamaha products.
- Valayil Colour House – A shop specialising in paints and related products.
- Monis Watch House – A store for a variety of watch brands and styles.
- Pamba Cafe – A local café offering a range of beverages and snacks.
- Shine Enterprises – A business dealing in various commercial products.
- Puthen Veetil Agencies – Another notable local business.
- Suvarnna Tea Shop – A popular spot for tea lovers.
- Ruchi Bakery – Known for its delicious bakery products.
- Srampical Jewellery – A jewellery store offering a range of ornaments and accessories.
- Elixir Dental Clinic – A dental clinic providing various dental services.
- Margin Free Supermarket – A retail provision store offering groceries, vegetables, and low-cost stationary products.
- Ration Shop – Ration Retail Shop
- Akshaya center – Computer Centre
- Robin’s Gym – Gymnasium and Fitness Centre
- St Thomas School – Higher Secondary School
- D & D Beauty Parlour – Beauty Parlour
Blessed with a moderate climate, the South-west monsoon influences this area.
- March – May: Extreme hot climate
- June – August: Heavy Rainy Season
- September – October: Moderate Season
- November: Rain with cold climate
- December: Cold weather with tiny rainfall
- January: Cold weather with no rainfall
- February: Intermediate climate with little rainfall mostly at evening & night
Mostly during June month, due to heavy rains, the river in Neerattupuram will flood, and almost all places will be under water. It’s breathtaking to see the river is flooding and the climate will be so cold due to extreme rain and flood, but the people here will suffer a lot on these days.
Culture and Festivals
The majority of people here has a traditional culture. Men follow the traditional culture of wearing Mundu or Lungi as bottom dress and shirt or t-shirt as the top dress. Women wear Saari, and young girls wear Dhavani or Churidars. On festival occasions, men wear Mundu, and white shirt or Jubba and women wear Milky coloured Set Saree. Onam is the most common festival for all people here. Mostly December to February is the festival month of Chakkulathukavu Devi temple. Karthikapongala, a unique function conducted in Chakkulathukavu Devi temple on Karthika day of Virchikamasam (mostly November-December) of Malayalam month is very famous here, and people all over South India come here for participating in this festival.
The leading sports club of this area is Friends Sports and Arts Club.
The most notable sports activity conducted here is Neerattupuram Pampa Boat Race.
There are many tourist homes or lodges here. The main among them are
- Chakkulathamma Lodge & Auditorium
- Sree Parashakthi Lodge [Earlier it was Chakkulam Lodge]
- Vattapparampan Lodge
Chakkulathamma Auditorium is the only auditorium available here for marriage functions and other functions. All these lodges are near to the Chakkulathukavu Devi Temple.
There are two schools here.
- St Thomas English Medium Higher Secondary School – English Syllabus [L.K.G, U.K.G, High School, Higher Secondary School standards].
- T.M.T higher high school – Malayalam Medium
If you have any question about Neerattupuram, feel free to use the comment box given below. We will try to help you at the best. If you like this article about this place, please share do share it on social media platforms.