There are many Characteristics for a second generation computer. I have give all the important Characteristics of second generation computers that I collected through different books, medias etc as different points below. In the following 8 points you get all the important characteristics of a Second generation computer and if you know some other important characteristics, please let me know it through comment.
Main Characteristics of a second generation computer are..
- Second generation computer machines were based on transistor technology.
- Second generation computers were smaller as compared to the first generation computers
- The computational time of Second generation computers was reduced to microseconds from milliseconds.
- Second generation computers were more reliable and less prone to hardware failure. Hence, such computers required less frequent maintenance.
- Second generation computers were more portable and generated less amount of heat.
- Assembly language was used to program Second generation computers. Hence, programming became more time-efficient and less cumbersome.
- Second generation computers still require air conditioning.
- Manual assembly of individual components into a functional unit was still required.